Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Meet our Team!

Want to know who is on the Molokai Mahina MoonBot Team? Here is your chance to meet them a few of them!


Jenn Whitted, Coach
My name is Jenn Whitted and I am a stay at home mom who teaches robotics on the side! Im a graduate from Iowa State University with a degree in Human Development and Family Studies and a minor in Teaching with Technology. I think exposing people to technology at a young age is extremely important because it takes away a lot of the 'limitations' young people might experience when trying to complete a task. When technology is involved there is little that someone can't do.

I especially appreciate the opportunity to participate in the MoonBots competition because it brings lunar exploration out of the history books and puts it right in the hands of students.



My name is ‘Awa Yerhot, I am 10 years old. I am a 5th Grade student at Kaunakakai School and I have experience with robots. I would like to be on the Moon Bot competition team. I have the skills and knowledge about the Moon and Mars to participate in the Moon Bot competition.





Hi, my name is Erik Svetin. I am 10 years old and in the 5th grade at Kaunakakai Elementary school. I have a brother named Owen and my mom is a manager at a pharmacy and my dad works at the local GoodFellow Company. I like to play baseball, basketball and kick the can. I was in First Lego League and won 1st alternate last year. we are trying to go to state next year!




My name is Alex Gilliland I am a thirteen year old girl who lives on the island of Molokai, Hawaii. I have lived here for the past ten years. I was born in Harare, Zimbabwe. I have also lived in Normal Illinois. I live with my mom, dad and, big brother, I love them all very much. My hobbies include; cooking, art, hanging out with my friends and reading good books. I also like to make people laugh and enjoy public speaking. My favorite school subject is science and math. When I grow up I would like to study to become an Astrobiologist.






Michael Altair Kikukawa is a freshman at Molokai High School. Last year he assisted in robotics and this year he is a mentor for the FLL robotics teams. He wanted to participate on the MoonBots Robotics Competition Team to learn more about the moon and robotics. He tells me he has always had a passion for astronomy, in fact he's named after the twelfth brightest star in the night sky, Altair. From a young age he has read astronomy books that his parents supplied him with but more recently he has been to an astronomy camp at UH Manoa and participated in various workshops on Molokai. He has a lot of experience creating videos and working with the technology involved in videos, computers, and robots.






Hi, my name is Moriah Jenkins and I am 14 and in the 10th grade. I have two sisters, 2 dogs and a rabbit. My mom is a teacher and my dad is a firefighter. My background in robotics is FLL and VEX. My background in astronomy is fairly vast. I have been to numerous astronomy camps and workshops. I am very interested in MoonBots and look forward to future research.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

The bios are great, guys! You are making "Aunty" so proud! Keep on working hard!

Unknown said...

Your blog is nicely designed and I love your team name...It sounds poetic. Bios are interesting!

Unknown said...

Hi and thank you for inviting me to follow this fantastic journey....I will be delighted to be a part of the process.

Molokai Robotics Team said...

Thank you all for your continued support and kind words!

Keep checking back, if you liked the students written bios then you will LOVE their vlogs! (Video Logs!)

Mahalo!!! (Thank you!)
~Jenn